Chapter 23 - Surprise! Surprise!
Next morning Khushi woke up to the sound of her irritating alarm. She was feeling really sleepy as she slept late last night, after her phone conversation with Arnav. A slight smile appeared on her face after remembering their small talks. She greeted the sun as usual and made her way to the washroom to change. After washing her face, she quickly changed in to a maroon coloured tank top and black pants(http://images.asos-media.com/inv/media/2/4/6/6/2616642/oxblood/image1xxl.jpg). While combing her hair, she suddenly remembered that today was a special day. It was her Chachi's birthday. She quickly put on a ponytail and ran downstairs.
Khushi was glad to see that her Chachi had still not left for work. She went to her and gave a heart warming hug, while wishing her a happy birthday.
"Happy Birthday Chachi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", Khushi screamed.
"Thanks Khushi, but I'm not deaf. Anyway thanks for the wishes", Mona said with a slight smile.
"So what are the special plans for today Chachi, we need treats", Khushi said cheerfully while winking at Mona.
"I'm not a child Khushi. There will be nothing special. Anyway, I have to go to work. Your Chachu has already left. So good bye to both of you", Mona said, while leaving from the dining room.
After Mona left, Khushi and Lavanya sat for breakfast. Lavanya's eagle eyes had suddenly spotted the beautiful letter "A" pendant that was adorning Khushi neck. She was feeling as jealous as a nine day's lover, but she thought of calming herself down, as she wanted to know the current relationship status of Arnav and Khushi.
"Wow, nice pendant Khushi. Did Arnav gift it to you?", Lavanya asked with a sly smile.
As Khushi was now fully aware of Lavanya's thoughts about Arnav and her relationship, she didn't want the plant of jealousy in Lavanya's mind to grow further. So she lied, although she hated to do so.
"No Lavanya, this was gifted by mom one year before she met with the accident. I didn't wear this all this time, because I tend to remember the day I lost her, whenever I saw it. But yesterday suddenly I wore it, as I want her to be always with me when I step into my new life with Arnav".
Lavanya felt slightly relieved after hearing Khushi's words, and then she remembered that Khushi's mom's name was Aditi. She thought of showing her fake affection and suddenly embraced Khushi in a heart warming hug. Khushi gasped with shock at the sudden gesture of Lavanya, as she knew this was all an act. But she went along with the act, hoping that everything will be fine someday.
"I'm sorry Khushi", Lavanya said thoughtfully.
"It's okay Di", Khushi said.
After few minutes, Khushi broke the embrace and asked with a cheerful mood, "Anyway, tell me what you have planned for Chachi's b'day? I'm sure you must have thought of something by now?".
"Of course. I thought of giving her a surprise party. This will be the last b'day I would be spending with her before marriage. So I want it to be special. So I thought of only inviting the close ones. The Raizada's and my idiotic friend, Rahul", Lavanya said in an excited tone.
"That's great. But Lav, will the time be enough?", Khushi asked, as she felt there were lot of stuff to be done before Chachi's arrival.
"Don't worry. We three will be able to manage. Rama and I together will bake the cake and prepare the other food stuff. Since you suck at cooking, why don't you do the decorations", Lavanya said.
"Okay, no problem. I'm sorry I will be of no use in the kitchen department, but I will prepare the jalebis. Also I will do the decorations", Khushi said, agreeing with Lavanya.
"Okay then, you finish decor by 3.30pm and start frying jalebis by that time. I think mom will arrive by 6.00pm. So I'll tell Anjali Di to come by 5.30pm", Lavanya said.
"Great. Then I will run to town now and get the necessary stuff", Khushi said, and left Lavanya to attend to her cooking and baking session.
By 4.30pm, Khushi had wonderfully decorated the whole house and had prepared the golden-orange jalebis successfully. Lavanya also had baked the cake and had prepared so many wonderful sweets and short-eats as well. Both of them arranged the table and went to their rooms, as they had to change.
Khushi looked in the mirror and smiled feeling satisfied by the way she had dressed herself. As she didn't want to overdress herself, she had worn a maroon poncho top(http://myntra.myntassets.com/images/style/properties/United-Colors-of-Benetton-Women-Maroon-Poncho-Top_0b3a015eebd7b8892d9f4568079de7c4_images_1080_1440_mini.jpg) and black jeans. Her hair was left open and her ears were adorned by a simple pair of earstuds(http://img2.etsystatic.com/006/0/6316666/il_170x135.372265930_m5yx.jpg). Her neck was as usual adorned by the pendant gifted by Arnav. She placed a kiss on the pendant and smiled at the thought of meeting Arnav after few minutes.
Finally when Khushi came downstairs, she saw that Rama had already welcomed the guests. Khushi walked straight to the elders and took blessings from Nani, Mama and Mami. Then she embrace Anjali Di for a warm hug. Next she greeted Akash and welcomed Arush by placing a kiss on his cheek. She felt a little worried as she couldn't find Arnav.
"Di, didn't Arnav come", Khushi asked, a little worried.
Khushi was surprised to see the smirk on Anjali's face, when she heard Arnav's voice from behind.
"Are you kidding me? You really thought that I would embarrass myself like last time, by being punished by Di for being late?", Arnav said, while smiling at Khushi.
"Hi to you too", Khushi said, with a chuckle.
"By the way, where the hell is the hostess of this party?", Rahul asked in his usual teasing tone.
"Here I am", Lavanya said, while descending the stairs. She was looking gorgeous with her amazing figure. She had dressed herself in a maroon-sea green churidaar(http://www.sareez.com/images/51/641/45SLH3007A_M_CHURIDAR.jpg.thumb_
390x585.jpg) and her hair was done in a high ponytail. She was looking simply stunning. Everybody was amazed by the beauty that finally reached the gathering. Lavanya, just like Khushi took the blessings from the elders, and they kept on praising her for her beauty. And specially Mami was really glad to see her bahu-to-be in an Indian attire, and she went on complimenting her.
390x585.jpg) and her hair was done in a high ponytail. She was looking simply stunning. Everybody was amazed by the beauty that finally reached the gathering. Lavanya, just like Khushi took the blessings from the elders, and they kept on praising her for her beauty. And specially Mami was really glad to see her bahu-to-be in an Indian attire, and she went on complimenting her.
Lavanya was now feeling the thrill of victory, as she had easily won the hearts of the Raizada family members. Her plan had worked. She never liked to wear Indian outfits for parties, but she thought of wearing this outfit today, so that she can impress her in-laws. And she had succeeded in her plan.
Khushi was shocked to see Lavanya in an Indian outfit, as she never wore Indian outfits for these kinds of parties. But she realized what Lavanya had planned by now, and she was worried.
"You look charming as usual, Khushi. You can't judge a person by the appearance. So stop worrying, and replace that ugly frown on your face with your amazing smile that can brighten millions of hearts in one go", Arnav whispered to Khushi in his husky voice.
Khushi was surprised by the words whispered by Arnav and how he had read her mind by her facial expressions. She finally put on a smile on her face and said, "You really know how to cheer me up, don't you?".
"I'm your partner, remember?", Arnav said, and they smiled at each other.
The surprise was successful, as it went as planned. Mona was surprised at her daughter's idea and she felt really lucky to have a daughter like her. They cut the cake and Mona made her husband, daughter and Khushi take a bite from the piece of cake, respectively. Then all of them seated themselves around the table and started to taste the sweets and short-eats served.
"Wow, these are really delicious. Did you both prepare all these? Well, what can I say? I'm proud to have two Bhabhi's like you both", Anjali said, while complimenting both Khushi and Lavanya.
"Thanks Di. But Khushi doesn't cook, so I prepared them by myself", Lavanya said, while taking full credit.
Khushi was now feeling a little embarrassed, but she hid it successfully under her innocent smile. But it was too late. Arnav had realized Khushi's state and he was fuming from inside. He wondered how Lavanya could embarrass Khushi in front of his family.
"If I wanted a wife who fills my stomach with meals, then I would have decided to marry a cook, not Khushi, right?", Arnav asked, and looked at Khushi asking whether she was alright through his eyes. Khushi smiled and replied that she was alright by blinking once.
Lavanya felt as if her efforts were useless, so she thought of changing the topic.
"Arre Arnav, you didn't eat much. At least eat a sweet. After all this is a happy occasion", Lavanya insisted.
"Actually Lavanya, he is a diabetic. So he can't eat sweets", Anjali said, clearing Lavanya's doubts.
"Wait", Khushi said and walked towards the kitchen. She came back with a bowl containing some jalebis.
"Khushi, why did you bring more, when there are plenty of jalebis here?", Anjali asked, with questioning eyes.
"Di, these are sugar-free jalebis. I made them for Arnav", Khushi said with a smile, while placing the bowl in front of Arnav.
Arnav took one and tasted the yellow-orange jalebi. After enjoying the jalebi, he looked at Khushi and smiled with satisfaction. This gesture was enough for Khushi to realize that Arnav liked the jalebis she made. She smiled at him with appreciation.
"Khushi Beta, I thought you said you can't cook? But you made all these jalebis right?", Nani said lovingly.
"Ji Nani", Khushi said in an innocent tone.
"I loved them. Once you come into our house, I will teach you to prepare all kinds of dishes. Then you don't have to worry about that as well", Nani said.
"Thanks Nani", Khushi said, while accepting Nani's help.
The rest of the evening was full of conversations and laughs, as everybody enjoyed the cheerful atmosphere around. After all the guests left, Khushi retired to her room. As soon as her head touched the pillow, she drifted in to the world of dreams, while remembering the way Arnav had supported her through out the evening, may it be by compliments or by caring, simple gestures.
Next two day were boring for Khushi, as she didn't have anything special to do. Nor did she have any functions to attend at Payal's place, and Arnav was also busy with trying to find a new replacement for the designer post. And finally when he found sometime to call her, he would keep on complaining about the faults of every single applicant who came for the interview. Khushi sometimes even laughed silently at the way Arnav acted these days. She felt as if Arnav was a child, who would be complaining about everything that happened around. But at the end of the conversation, she was somehow successful to calm him down.
Today Arnav had already interviewed ten applicants, and all of them were useless. He was feeling really stressed out by now, so he closed his eyes hoping that a solution would pop out saying "surprise!". The silence in the cabin was broken, by the sudden knock on the door.
"Come in", Arnav said in an angry tone, while keeping his eyes shut.
"Excuse me, Mr.Raizada", the person said softly.
Arnav's eyes opened with surprise, as soon as the sound waves reached his ears. It was Khushi, and he was surprised at her sudden visit to meet him.
"What are you doing here Khushi?", Arnav asked, with a surprised look.
"Sir, I'm here for the designer post. Here is my CV", Khushi said, and gave her file.
Arnav now saw the smirk that had appeared on the angelic face and he realized that she was playing with him. So he thought of playing along as well.
"Hmmm...", Arnav said, while pretending as if he was reading the file for real.
"Not bad. When compared with others, you seem to be more qualified for this job. So I guess the designer post is yours, Miss Gupta", Arnav said in a serious tone.
Khushi opened her mouth, hoping to say something, but she was cut off by Arnav's words.
"But I heard that you refuse to work under any boss, am I right?", Arnav asked, while letting the signature smirk appear on his face.
Khushi took slow steps towards Arnav, and finally stopped behind Arnav's chair. She wrapped her tiny arms around Arnav's neck and leaned towards him.
"I said I won't work under any boss, not my fiance", Khushi whispered in Arnav's ear, and let out an innocent giggle.
Arnav suddenly grasped one of Khushi's fragile wrists and pulled her at once, making her petite body land on his lap. Both of them were lost in each others eyes, and Arnav saw Khushi's soft, rosy cheeks turning into red, just like a cherry.
Will Arnav and Khushi get to romance, or will they be disturbed by someone? If so, who would that be?
No comments:
Post a Comment