Wednesday, December 26, 2012


Chapter 28 - Lies & Guilt

As soon as Khushi reached home, after being dropped by Arnav, she freshened herself. Khushi was wearing a yellow coloured tank top (http://images.madeinchina.com/9ABAACE1CDF4E37EE040007F01006991/488/6609488/
VANCL-Solid-Color-Basic-Tank-Top-Yellow-SKU-47022_6609488.bak.jpg) and a pair of denim blue three quarters. Her hair was tied up in a high ponytail. There was nobody at home, as everybody had left for work. After having lunch Khushi retired to her room to take a nap, as she was feeling bored. She was just about to get under her duvet, when she was interrupted by a phone call. And the caller was none other than Payal.

"Hey Payal, how are you?", Khushi asked cheerfully.
"Hey Khush, I think I should ask you that question? How was the night with Arnav?", Payal asked, hoping to tease Khushi.
"Okay, okay. I know you want to take revenge from me because I used to tease you all the time. So I'm not going to stop you. But I really wanted to thank you for not letting anyone know about the lie", Khushi said in a grateful tone.
"Hey, what are friends for? Anyway, you didn't do anything wrong at the first place. You were giving support to your fiance, when he needed your support the most", Payal said, trying to justify Khushi's actions.
"I know. But you know Chachu and Chachi. I should think about their reputation as well. But I didn't have a choice. He needed me. So I did what I thought was right at the moment. The only wrong thing I did was lying about it. But I know they wouldn't understand. And Arnav also doesn't want others to know the state he was in yesterday . After-all it's his personal life", Khushi went on explaining herself to Payal, as she was feeling a little guilty.
"Khush, stop trying to feel guilty. Lets stop this topic. So how is your relationship with ASR?", Payal asked.
"Well, I have to say it is stronger than I thought. He doesn't open up to me all the time. But he tries his best to make our relationship work. He is not perfect, but he is good enough for me. He keeps me happy, and that's all that matters. Also I'm sure that whatever happens, he will always be with me", Khushi said, feeling happy about their relationship.
"Wow, lucky you. I'm glad that ASR is really supportive. I'm really happy for you", Payal said, in a sad tone.
Khushi now felt that something was wrong.
"Payal, what happened? Is everything alright between Aman and you? I mean did Aman tell something? Or did his family say something?", Khushi asked, as she was worried for her best friend.
"Oh no, Khushi. Nothing like that. It's just that I never imagined that Arnav would be the perfect life partner for you. But I guess I was wrong", Payal said, trying to hide her emotions.
"Yeah, me neither. But seems like he is", Khushi said, feeling that she should let Payal open up to her, without trying to push her too much.
"Okay then, I gotta go Khushi. Buaji is looking for me. Take care", Payal said, hoping to end the conversation.
"Okay sweetie. Tell "hi" to Buaji for me. Take care. Bye", Khushi said.
After Payal hung up, Khushi wondered what was Payal upset about. But she knew that Payal would open up to her, when she thought it was the right time. So finally Khushi went under her duvet and thought of having her much awaited nap.
It was around 6.00pm, when Khushi finally woke up. She felt refreshed, and dehydrated at the same time. She first splashed some water on her face and went downstairs to drink some water. After quenching her thirst, Khushi chatted with Rama for sometime. Khushi was so busy these days that she didn't get much time to catch up with Rama. Suddenly both of them heard the sound of the door bell and they realized that Chachu and Chachi had arrived. Khushi told Rama that she would open the door, so she went towards the front door.
Khushi went and opened the door while greeting them with a smile.
"Hello Chachu, hi Chachi".
Both Mona and Rajiv ignored her greeting and entered the house.
"Rama bring us coffee", Chachi shouted.
Khushi was wondering why her aunt and uncle were ignoring her, but she tried to be nice.
"Wait Chachi, I will bring the coffee", Khushi said, while turning around to leave towards the kitchen.
"Oh, there's no need. You don't need to show that you care for us", Khushi froze after hearing her Chachi's words. She knew what her Chachi was hinting at. 
Khushi turned around and continued to speak. "Chachi, what's wrong. I'm not showing it off. I love you both, and you both should know that already by now".
"Really? Stop faking Khushi. We don't need your love. We have our daughter, Lavanya. What worries us the most is, after giving you all the things you need for survival, is this the way you repay us", Chachi said, in an anger mixed hurt tone.
"Mona, stop this. Your words are useless", Rajiv said, angrily. 
"No. Let me speak, Rajiv. Tell me Khushi, where were you last night? And don't you dare say you were at Payal's house", Mona continued in anger.
Khushi knew that it was useless trying to hide the truth anymore, and she knew no matter what she told right now, it was of no use. The finger was already pointed at her. She didn't want them to know Arnav's state as well.
"I'm sorry for lying, Chachi. But I can't tell you where I was", Khushi said, looking down sadly.
"See Mona, I told you know. Useless talking to this girl. I was sure that she must have done something stupid, which she is already regretting by now", Rajiv said, throwing an accusation at Khushi.
Khushi's eyes were filled with tears. The tears were not because she was hurt by them scolding at her, but because she realized how low they thought of her. She figured that they have never trusted her all this time. She didn't have the strength to stand up for them anymore. All these years she thought one day that they would understand her, but she was wrong. She was broken down, and she didn't know what to say. She felt as if she was suffocating. 
"Tell us Khushi. With whom did you spend the night? What will Arnav think of you now? Leave Arnav aside, what will happen to Lavanya? Will the Raizada's be ready to give their son to a girl, whose cousin who has slept with another man while being engaged? What more were you looking for Khushi? Wasn't Arnav SIngh Raizada's money enough? Oh I see, you wanted his money, so you agreed to marry him. So you get money from one person, while the other pleasures you", Rajiv kept on accusing Khushi, and Khushi couldn't listen to all this false accusations anymore.
"That's enough", Khushi shouted, while the tears were now running down her soft cheeks at a greater speed.
"Why? Does the truth hurt that much? So who was the guy? A freelancer like you, who doesn't have a permanent job?", Rajiv asked, sarcastically.
"No, Mr.Gupta. She was with me last night", all three of them turned around to see the source of the voice. It was Arnav. Both Mona and Rajiv were dumbstruck after what they heard.
"Arnav, what are you doing here?", Khushi asked, softly.
"I came to discuss about a new contract I have to sign. I didn't want to come. But had to, because it was important. And seems like I came at the right time", Arnav said roughly, and came and stood beside Khushi.
"And for your knowledge Mr.Gupta, seems like you didn't know that your daughter has now joined our company. She is the Head Designer of AR Designs. Oh, I forgot. How would you know, when you only consider Lavanya as your daughter and Khushi is just the adopted daughter, right?", Arnav said, sarcastically.
Rajiv was now fuming at the way his son-in-law was talking to him. So he went on spitting words in anger. "Wow Khushi, you have got a very supportive fiance. And you two seem to be perfect for each other. Else, why would you both decide to spend the night together, when you both know clearly it would ruin both the families reputations. So bravo Khushi, you have found your perfect match. I thought you were much more intelligent than she was, Arnav. But I guess I was wrong".
"Uncle, I don't want to argue with you, but I can't stand quiet when my fiancee is being insulted like this for something she has not done. Yes, she was with me last night. But I was the one who asked her to stay, as I was upset yesterday. I know what I asked her to do was wrong, but that was my moment of weakness. I'm sorry. But what I can't understand is how you can go on accusing her, without knowing the whole truth? You are one of the country's top lawyers, and is this the way you handle problems? You have known her for such a long time, yet you don't trust her. But do you know how my family reacted after knowing the truth? They believed that Khushi was an intelligent girl from a respected family. And they were confident that she would know her limits. Do you know that before taking any decision, she always thinks about both of you? She even agreed to this marriage, because she wanted you all to be happy. Just because she didn't come home one night you judged her, just like that? Fine, lets say Khushi did something wrong, what about Lavanya? How many nights have she stayed out whole night, that too without informing you? Would you have accused her like this as well?", Arnav went on expressing his anger in the form of words. If they weren't elders, he would have already done something that he would regret later. He tried to control the fire that was burning him from inside.
"What is that supposed to mean Arnav?". Lavanya, who had arrived few minutes earlier, had heard what Arnav had said. She was now boiling from inside, so she went on uttering words without thinking.
"Just because your girl is being pointed for her wrong doing, don't try to turn the tables on me. Why did you both lie, if you both didn't do something wrong? Thank god, I got to know through Aman. Yesterday late at night Aman called me to talk about a legal matter, and he was with Payal at that time. And when I asked him how she was, he said she was fine. Next time when you lie, make sure you make it a perfect lie. As for accusing me, you've got no right to tell those things about me".
"Really, why not? Tell me how many nights you have spent partying in the club till morning? Don't think I don't know about you Lavanya. If Rahul is your friend, he is my friend too. And he got to know me, before he got to know you. You really think I don't know about your character? Just because I kept my mouth shut all this time, doesn't mean I'm fond of you. Tell me, with how many guys have you spent the night in your life?", Arnav asked, bursting out angrily.
Lavanya couldn't bear it anymore. "How dare you?", she didn't know when, but her hand was on midair ready to slap him. But something stopped her. Khushi's firm grip had stopped Lavanya from slapping Arnav.
"Don't you dare even think about that", Khushi said. Khushi''s eyes were now glinting with anger. She had heard enough, and she had had enough of all this drama that was taking place around her for no reason.
"He is my fiance. And never do the mistake of lifting you hand against him. Why, what happened? Did the truth hurt you that much Lavanya? Well, that's how I felt. I know you haven't done that mistake yet. I felt the same way you felt, when I was accused of bad character. Well, I don't think there is a need to talk about this anymore.  I'm sorry for lying yesterday, but I'm not sorry for being with Arnav last night", Khushi said firmly, and ran upstairs while crying her eyes off.
Arnav knew it was not the right time for him to console Khushi. So he left, hoping to call Khushi later. After Arnav left, Lavanya ran to her room and closed her door with a bang in anger. Rajiv left towards his room, still fuming from inside. But Mona was confused. After-all she was a mother. Yes, it was true that she had always taken Lavanya's side, yet she always knew Khushi was right. The truth was, the mother inside her was never ready to accept the fact that Khushi was better than Lavanya. But now Mona was doubting her thoughts and actions. And she didn't know what she was supposed to do anymore.

Will Arnav be able to console Khushi? If so, how will he do it? Will Mona regret the way she had treated Khushi all this time? Will she apologize to her?

No comments:

Post a Comment