Monday, November 26, 2012

Chapter 18

Chapter 18 - Their First Date

After dinner Khushi retired to her room and was reliving the memorable moments of her engagement. She was feeling so lucky today, to have found a good life partner in Arnav. Although Arnav had tried his very best to make Khushi feel not guilty of accepting the wonderful gift, it was useless. She wondered how she had forgotten to buy an engagement gift for Arnav. She so wanted to gift something, but she didn't know what. She was clueless about Arnav's likes and dislikes. Khushi put her creative mind to use and made herself get lost in the thoughts, hoping that she would be able to think of a perfect gift for her fiance.
Next day after the engagement, Arnav was so engrossed in work, that he had already lost track of time. He had to recheck the final preparations of a fashion show which will be held in UK the following week. To say he was the busiest person alive on earth wouldn't be wrong. He had even skipped his lunch today, and he could here the rumbling sound of his stomach. It was nearly 6pm and he heard a knock on his cabin door.
"Who is it?", Arnav asked a little worriedly, as he was planning to leave the office in 30 minutes. But now he would be delayed again.
"It's me, Khushi", Khushi said in her sweet tone.
"Come in", Arnav said a little relieved that it was his fiancee and not any other employee.
"Hi, what are you doing here?", Arnav asked as he was surprised of Khushi's sudden visit.
"Actually, I wanted to meet you", Khushi said nervously.
"Is it something important? Because right now, I'm really busy", Arnav said while continuing his work on the laptop. Khushi felt a little disappointed by Arnav's reply.
"Oh I'm sorry. But can you at least take a minute off. I need to show you something", Khushi said, hoping that Arnav would at least be bothered to know what she was about to talk about.
"Look Khushi, I said nah, I'm really busy right now. Unless it is really something important, I hope you can wait until I call you after going home", Arnav muttered without thinking.
Khushi got angry by the way Arnav was responding, and spitted out. "You thought I would come all the way to the office, unless it was something important. You know what, damn your work. I was the idiot to think that you would even waste a second to listen to your fiancee. I'm sorry Mr.Raizada for disturbing your important work. Bye".
Khushi didn't bother to give a chance for Arnav to explain. Without wasting a second of Arnav's precious time, Khushi left the cabin.
Arnav was astonished at the way how Khushi suddenly broke out at him with anger. He felt that the way he talked to Khushi was wrong. But what could he do. He was under so much of stress about  the upcoming show, and to top it all his stomach worms were playing kick boxing. "What was so important that she came all the way to his office?", Arnav now gave it a thought as to why Khushi came to the office suddenly.
Khushi was furious at the way Arnav ignored her. If he was Arnav Singh Raizada, she was Khushi Gupta. She would not let this go off so easily. As Khushi was pissed off at Arnav, as soon as she came home, Khushi went to the kitchen. She took all the ingredients required to make "jalebi", her all time favourite comfort food. Rama saw that her Khushi Didi was angry. Although she wanted to know what the reason was, she knew this was not the right time. When Khushi was angry, the best thing to do was to let her calm down by herself.
Mona was relaxing herself in the living room, when she heard the sound of the door bell. 
"Rama!!!!!!!!!!! Check whose at the door", Mona shouted.
Rama came running and opened the door. She opened her mouth in an "O"shape, as she was shocked to see the person who was standing in front of her.
"Who is it Rama?", Mona came towards the door, as she didn't get any response from Rama.
"Oh, Arnav Beta. Come in. Why are you standing outside?", Mona said politely. 
Arnav entered the house and started to search for the person who was responsible to make him visit this house today. But she was nowhere to be seen. As soon as Arnav realized that he had done wrong by ignoring Khushi, he thought of apologizing to her. He tried calling her mobile for several times, but it straight away went to voice mail. So he thought of visiting Khushi's place and clearing the tension filled air between them.
"Auntie, where is Khushi?", Arnav asked from Mona.
"Khushi Didi is in the kitchen. She is making jalebi. Seems like she is comforting herself with her all time favourite comfort food. Someone must have really pissed her off", Rama continued as she was unaware of Mona's glare. Suddenly Rama realized that she had made the owner of the house angry. So she shut herself up.
"Why Arnav? Do you want to meet her?", Mona asked.
Arnav nodded his head, indicating a "yes".
"Rama, go and call Khushi. Tell her that Arnav has come to meet her", Mona ordered Rama.
Rama agreed and went in search of Khushi.
At first Khushi hesitated a bit, but she didn't want to let everybody in the house aware that she was angry with Arnav. So she thought of pretending to show that everything was fine between them.
Arnav saw Khushi coming towards him. He was glad that she at least agreed to meet him, without making a big fuss. But he felt that she was burning from inside, as he sensed there was smoke puffing out from her ears and nostrils. He smiled from his mind and he knew he had to try his ASR ways to make her go out with him. Yes, as soon as he realized that Khushi was upset with him, he thought the best way to make up to her was by taking her out for a dinner. In that way he would be able to get to know what was the important thing Khushi wanted to show him and also he would be able to relieve his hunger.
"Auntie, can I take Khushi outside for a dinner out today?", Arnav asked in a polite tone.
Khushi was surprised at Arnav's sudden notion. He really knew the way to make things be done according to his own accord. Khushi knew that she would have to agree to go out with him. But she made up her mind to not to give in so easily.
"Yeah sure, Beta. Khushi, go and get ready soon", Mona said to Khushi firmly.
"Ji Chachi", Khushi said, and left toward her room giving an angry stare at Arnav.
After sometime Khushi was fully ready. She had made her self comfortable wearing a black short shift dress (http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/608882091_1/2012-DN242-KM-black-red-wholesale-designer-evening-free-shipping-Short-shift-dress-elaborate-metallic-beaded.jpg) and her hair was left open. She didn't want to look overdressed, although this would be their first date. She was excited, but she didn't want to show it either, as she didn't want to easily forgive him. Khushi descended down the stairs and Arnav was once again mesmerized by Khushi's beauty. It was true that she didn't wear all grand outfits, or heavy make up, but yet she looked stunning. Her open hair and and the pair of stud earrings (http://www.designerfashionjewellery.net/ekmps/shops/designf/images/black-white-diamond-white-gold-designer-stud-earrings-154-p.jpg) intensified the elegant look on her face. His gaze stopped on both her wrists. On one wrist she had worn a simple bracelet (http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.4849946567641498&pid=15.1), which matched her outfit. When he saw the other wrist being adorned by the wrist watch gifted by him, he felt his heart fill with joy. Khushi realized what made Arnav's smile on his face reach the eyes. She was glad to see him happy, but she was yet not convinced to forgive him.
Both Arnav and Khushi bid good bye to Mona and left. The drive was silent as Khushi was still angry and Arnav didn't try to force a conversation as he didn't want to make her all furious again. 
As soon as their journey came to an end, Khushi looked out the shutter. It was the best Chinese restaurant in town. She was so glad that Arnav had brought her to a restaurant  where they served her favourite dishes. Khushi was a Chinese food fan. But how did Arnav find that out? 
They went in and the receptionist greeted both of them. A young man in early thirties came to Arnav and said, "Good evening ASR, after such a long time".
Arnav smiled and said, "Yep. Oh by the way this is Khushi, my fiancee".
Khushi said "Hello", with a sweet smile.
"Your table for two is ready. Please come", said the young man.
It was a quite cozy place. Khushi felt that this place had a romantic atmosphere, as there were so many couples around. She made herself comfortable by sitting down on the chair drawn by Arnav. She thanked him. Arnav excused and left Khushi for a while, alone. Khushi really wanted to forgive Arnav, but she still didn't want to. Because she wanted him to know, that he can't expect her to behave according to the way he wanted. Yeah, may be he was busy, but still he should have not ignored her.
The sudden ring of a mobile phone, made her gasp a little. It was Arnav's phone. He had forgotten and left his phone on the table. Khushi checked the caller ID and saw it was Aman. Therefore she thought of answering.
"Hello Sir", Aman said softly.
Khushi could feel the fear Aman had towards his boss.
"Hey Aman, it's Khushi", Khushi said in her chirpy voice.
"Oh hi Khushi, I mean Madam. Is Arnav Sir around? Aman asked in a relaxed tone, after realizing it was Khushi answering the phone.
"He is not here right now. What is it? Do you want to give him a message?", Khushi asked.
"No, no, Madam. It's just that I was worried since Arnav Sir didn't have anything since breakfast. I just wanted to check whether he ate", Aman said worriedly.
"Kya? You mean he didn't have lunch today? But why?", Khushi asked in shock and worry.
"He was so busy, that he had lost track of time", Aman explained.
"Don't worry Aman, I will make sure he eats. I'm glad that your his personal assistant. You really deserve a praise. But you should stop calling me Madam. I'm just Khushi, your fiancee's friend", Khushi said nicely.
"Thanks Khushi. I'm glad he has you now to take care of him. Okay then, bye", Aman said.
"Bye", Khushi said while ending the call.
Khushi was now feeling sorry for Arnav. How can he neglect his diet for wor? Seriously did he think work is more important than food? She felt that she was wrong to burst out at him without knowing his condition. He must have been stressed out at that time and to top it all, he was in an empty stomach. No wonder that he responded to her in that manner. She saw Arnav coming towards the table, so she calmed herself down.
"Sorry, I had to meet the manager. So Khushi what do you want to eat?", Arnav asked nicely.
Both of them gave their orders to the waiter who was standing near them. After dismissing the waiter, Arnav thought of starting the conversation, as he didn't want to spend the rest of the evening silent.
"Khushi I'm really sorry for ignoring you. It was just that, you know me, right? I never can neglect work", Arnav said apologetically.
"So you can neglect everything for work?", Khushi said firmly.
"No, I don't mean that. I'm still getting used to the fact that you have entered my life. My family have understood me by now. But since you are not familiar with my lifestyle, I should have been more considerate. I'm really sorry", Arnav said, hoping that Khushi would forgive at least now.
"You know Arnav, work is not life. I agree you need money to live. And to earn money you should work hard. But how can you be successful in working in the future, if you neglect about your health?", Arnav now knew that Khushi was informed about him skipping his lunch.
"I know Arnav you were stressed out that time and to top it all, you were in an empty stomach. But you should have at least explained to me the situation and I would have understood", Khushi tried explaining to Arnav about his mistake.
"I know Khushi. I will try not to let it happen again", Arnav said indicating that he had realized his mistake.
"I hope you will keep your word. And never you dare to skip a meal. Else I will tell Di", Khushi threatened Arnav.
"Oh my god. All this time I had to deal with Di and now you too have started. Great. But please don't tell Di. Because she is far more worse than you", Arnav said teasingly.
"How do you know that I'm easier to deal with?", Khushi asked raising an eyebrow.
"Oh please, look at you. One dinner and you have forgiven me", Arnav said with a wink.
"What the... Do you want me to get back to the earlier mood?", Khushi said a little angrily.
"Uffo Khushi, I was kidding. You are surely suitable for the role of Mrs.Raizada", Arnav said with his exclusive smirk on his face. He was amazed to see the rosy cheeks of Khushi now turning slightly in to red, as she was blushing.
The waiter had now arrived with food. After serving themselves the delicacies laid in front of them, they started to enjoy the meal. The food was delicious. Khushi was really enjoying the meal. Arnav was finally glad that his stomach was no longer empty. They silently enjoyed the meal, as they were both hungry. 
By the time the desert arrived, both were enjoying each others company. They were talking about their likes and dislikes and Khushi as usual had started to blabber about the wonderful memories of her childhood. Arnav was surprised thinking, "How could a girl talk this much?".
Khushi had suddenly realized that Arnav was staring at her with utmost surprise.
"What?", Khushi asked.
"Nothing. It's just that, don't you ever feel tired of talking so much? I mean leave yourself aside, what about the person who is listening to all your chattering? Don't you feel sorry for him?", Arnav asked sarcastically.
"I don't care. This is my way. Either you accept the way I am or just find another girl", Khushi said without thinking. Later she realized that what she said had made Arnav's smile drop.
"I'm sorry Arnav, I didn't mean to...", Khushi said in an apologetic tone.
"It's okay Khushi. Lets go. It's getting late", Arnav said, trying to hide what he felt with those words.
They left the restaurant and was now driving towards Khushi's house. Khushi felt awkward with the silence that was surrounding them. She couldn't wait anymore, as she knew that he was hurt. But she didn't know how to handle the situation right now, so she thought of reducing the tension between them. 
"Arnav, how did you get to know that I loved Chinese?" Khushi asked, as she was curious to know how he had found about her favourite type of meal.
"Just the way you got to know that I skipped the meal. I asked Aman to ask Payal. It only took 10 minutes to find out that you loved Chinese", Arnav said, trying to forget about Khushi's previous words.
Although he didn't love Khushi, he knew that any other girl wouldn't be the perfect match for him. In these few days of their relationship, they had shared a lot of feelings, including joy, anger, sorrow, guilt, regret, etc. If they weren't the perfect match, they wouldn't have been where they were right now. That's why he felt a little hurt with Khushi's words.
As soon as Khushi's house came to his view, he remembered that Khushi had something important to show to him. Well, that important thing was what led them to go out on their first date at the first place. So he thought of bringing it up, before saying good bye to her. He applied the brakes in front of the house.
"Khushi, what was the important thing you wanted to show, when you came to meet me today?", Arnav asked enthusiastically.
"Oh shit!!!!!!!!! I totally forgot. Wait right here, I'll be back", Khushi said hurriedly as she opened the door.
"But Khushi...", Arnav's words were lost to the thin air around, as he saw Khushi's figure disappear as she entered the house.
What would be Khushi's first gift for Arnav? What will Khushi feel when she would get to know that Arnav will be leaving to UK for a week? Will helping with Payal's marriage preparations help Khushi to forget, that Arnav was out of the country?

No comments:

Post a Comment