Monday, November 26, 2012

Chapter 19

Chapter 19 - Rendezvous before Adieu

Arnav was leaning against the car and had his hands crossed against his chest. He saw Khushi coming running towards him. 
"Here you go", Khushi handed over the gift to Arnav.
It was wrapped in a red wrapping paper and it seemed to be some kind of a file like thing. Arnav slowly unwrapped it, and his guess was right. It was a file.
"What is this Khushi?", Arnav asked with a blank face, as he was clueless of what was inside.
"Just open and see", Khushi said with a million dollar worth smile.
Arnav slowly opened the file and was amazed to see the most fresh, exclusive and fascinating designs that was able to give a value, for the simple blank paper. The designs were extremely elegant. His eyes were glittering with happiness and he had the most wonderful smile appeared on his face right now. Khushi's heart was filled with joy as she saw the rarest expressions that appeared on his face.
"Khushi these are just awesome. I mean they are fresh, unique and elegant. I'm really impressed. But why are you gifting these to me? These are your designs, I can't take them", Arnav said seriously.
"I know they are mine Arnav. Yesterday's whole night I thought of what to gift you. But I didn't have the simplest idea of what you liked. So I thought about what you live for. I know your first baby is your Di and your family. Then I thought of your second baby. That is your work. So I thought of gifting my designs to you. I didn't think that you would love them so much, but I tried my best to impress you", Khushi said in her sweet tone.
"Are you kidding me? These are mind blowing. But Khushi if I take these, it would be unfair by you.", Arnav said, as he didn't want to take Khushi's ideas to promote his company.
"I'm a freelancer. So I have the freedom to choose to whom I give my designs. So for your luck, I chose you. It's not going to be unfair by me, because you are my family now. So I want you to accept my gift without any guilt", Khushi said, hoping Arnav would understand the situation.
Arnav felt a new feeling within him, when Khushi mentioned him as her family. He almost forgot the hurtful words Khushi said in the restaurant. He knew that she didn't mean what she said. Also he figured out that he had to get used to her exclusive chattering. Arnav didn't know when, how, or why he did what he did next. Without any hesitation he took Khushi in his arms for a warm hug. He wanted to share the happiness she had given to him right now by giving the most amazing gift and calling him as her family. 
Khushi was shocked when Arnav suddely pulled her into a hug. But she felt good, really good. She could feel that Arnav was feeling truly happy today and that he had forgotten the hurtful words blabbered by her without thinking before. She also realized that the pain she saw in his eyes past few days, was reducing with every passing day, and she felt happy as she knew that she was the reason for that relief he felt right now.
They didn't know for how long they stayed in each others embrace, but since it was late, Arnav was the first one to step out of the hug. He wished her good night and thanked her once again for the wonderful gift. Khushi wished him good night and waved at him until she lost the view of his car, as it disappeared into the thick darkness.
Next day morning, Khushi left for Payal's place, as it was her mehendi ceremony. Khushi was wearing a sleeveless churidar of grey and brown colour (http://sareez.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/34sl403c_m_salwar.jpg), which enhanced her petite figure well. Her hair was curled at the lower end and two short tresses of hair was left in front. Her neck was adorned by a simple necklace that had a golden pendant with a brown topaz (http://www.roxburyjewelry.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5   fb8d27136e95/n/0/n001299_2.jpg). She had worn simple brown earrings to match with her outfit (http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.5051706936854504&pid=15.1). Khushi was glad that she was able to attend Payal's wedding ceremonies, as these days she didn't have much work to do. Mehendi ceremony went on full swing. Khushi had a wonderful time dancing, singing, chatting and teasing Payal. Payal had already done her mehndi and she was insisting Khushi to do it as well. Khushi first hesitated to apply mehndi on her hands, but she couldn't say no to her friend. So she agreed. Finally Khushi's hands were adorned by a simple mehndi pattern. 
It was around 4pm and she heard her mobile ring. The call was form Arnav. 
"Hey", Khushi said in a cheerful tone.
"Hey, why are you in a cheerful mood?", Arnav asked, as he was curious to know what Khushi was doing right now.
"Why? Can't I be cheerful? Anyway I'm at Payal's mehndi ceremony. And guess what, I applied mehndi on my hands as well. And that too for the first time", Khushi said in a joyful tone.
"Really, that's great", Arnav said.
"Wish there was a way for you to see my hands right now", Khushi said in a low tone.
"Well, you can click a photo and send it right away", Arnav said, giving the perfect solution for Khushi's problem.
"I was talking about seeing it for real. Anyway, it's okay. By the way, why did you call?", Khushi asked, as she wanted to know why Arnav called.
"What kind of a question is that? Do I need a reason to call my fiancee? What kind of a girl are you, hah?", Arnav said in a teasing tone.
"Sorry, I didn't mean that. It was just that, all this is new for me. That's why?", Khushi said in an apologetic tone.
"I was kidding. Leave all that. When will you go home?", Arnav asked.
"I will leave in another half an hour. Why?", Khushi asked.
"Nothing. I'll just call you when you go home then", Arnav said.
"Okay then, bye", Khushi answered.
"Bye", Arnav hung up the phone with a smirk on his face.
It was around 5.30pm when Khushi finally arrived home. She was dead tired after helping Payal's Buaji with cleaning the house. She went straight away to the kitchen as she was feeling hungry.
"Rama, can I have something to eat?", Khushi asked.
"Oh Didi, you came. Yeah, there is samosa in that dish", Rama said, pointing towards the dish.
"Why samosa? Not that I'm complaining or anything. I mean is Chachu, Chachi or Lavanya home?", Khushi asked, because as far as she knew Rama and herself were the only people who were at home right now.
"Oh no Didi. There is a surprise guest in your room right now. I couldn't keep the guest waiting for you in an empty stomach, could I?", Rama said teasingly.
"But who?", Khushi asked enthusiastically.
"Go and check. Else it wouldn't be a surprise, would it?", Rama said chuckling.
"Rama, you are becoming too much nowadays", Khushi said laughing and went towards her room.
While going upstairs Khushi felt that the surprise guest may be Arnav, but she shook her thoughts away, as he had called her and told before that he would call her when she was at home. Khushi opened the door to her room and was surprised to see Arnav in there.
"Arnav, what the hell are you doing here?", Khushi asked in surprise.
"Why, didn't you like my surprise visit? Now don't start scolding me saying that it's not right to be in a girl's room, etc", Arnav said in a teasing tone.
"No, I want even start that, because it seems to be useless these days. But why are you suddenly here?", Khushi asked curiously.
"Look who is asking? I thought you wanted to show your mehndi to me?", Arnav asked with a questioning look.
"Oh yeah, see", Khushi said with joy. She looked like a baby who was showing her first painting to her parents. Arnav smiled at her childish antiques. She was surely one of a kind. Her eyes were sparkling with joy right now and he complimented her beautiful hands this time by placing a kiss on the tip of her fingers.
"Beautiful", he said in his husky tone. 
Khushi was in utter shock by Arnav's gesture, but she felt her heart flip with joy, when his lips touched her fingertips. Arnav didn't know why he did it, but he knew she deserved it. After all, these days he seemed to be doing lots of things without knowing the reason for doing them.
Khushi was feeling a little awkward now and she tried to look everywhere, except in to Arnav's molten brown eyes. Arnav felt that Khushi was feeling awkward, so he thought of distracting her and letting her know the other reason he came to see her.
"Khushi, I have to tell you something", Arnav said softly.
Khushi now looked straight into his eyes, with her questioning eyes.
"Actually, tomorrow night I will be leaving to London. Next whole week I will be there. There is a fashion show and that's why I have been busy all these days. I wanted to tell this yesterday, but all the enjoyable moments we spent yesterday, made me forget this", Arnav said, hoping that Khushi would understand.
The smile on Khushi's face disappeared in an instant. She didn't know why, but she felt as she was going to be all alone again. Yeah, it was true that it had been only two days since their engagement, but she felt as she was going to lose him if he went away now. But she knew what work meant for Arnav, so she thought of supporting him without making a fuss.
"One week? Wow. That's quite a long time", Khushi said, faking a smile on her face.
Arnav knew Khushi was hiding her feelings, because he knew that was what she was good at. He knew that she was pretending to be fine, because she didn't want to trouble him. Khushi was now looking down, and he could feel that her precious tears were about to flow down her angelic face. Arnav cupped her face and made her look into his eyes.
"I'm sorry Khushi. I wish I could send someone else or take you with me. But I can't, because this is one of the important events of the year. Hope you will understand", Arnav said, trying to calm her down.
Khushi touched his hands and said what she was truly feeling. "It's okay Arnav. I don't know why I'm crying now. It's not like you are leaving me forever or anything. It's just that, I will miss you".
"Hey, don't even think of saying that ever. I'm not going to leave you forever. When I agreed for this relationship, I promised to myself that I will be with you forever. It's just a matter of seven days. I'm sure Payal's wedding preparations will keep you occupied. And I know you. You won't even remember me, when you are with you friend" Arnav said jovially, as he wanted to lighten her mood.
"Arnav", Khushi said hitting him on his arm. Khushi felt relieved after what he said. A small smile appeared at the corner of her lips.
"See, that's my girl. Look, I will call you everyday. Although it will be difficult to here your constant chattering, I'm sure I can do that much for you", Arnav said with a wink.
"Good, you should. Because you should train yourself to bear my constant chattering in the future, as I will be around you 24x7", Khushi said in anger.
"Wow, so you thought about our future as well. Not bad", Arnav said with his exclusive smirk on his face.
Suddenly they heard the sound of an engine downstairs. Khushi realized that it was her Chachu and Chachi. Arnav realized that it was time for him to leave. 
He could see that Khushi's face was now looking like a withered flower. He didn't want to leave seeing her face like this, but he didn't know what could cheer her up right now. So he gently slid his hands around her waist and pulled her towards him. Khushi didn't know what Arnav was going to do next, but she felt warmth and comfort near him. She closed her eyes and tried to enjoy these few moments before he would leave her. Arnav saw that Khushi was enjoying the moment, so without taking further time, he placed a soft kiss on her forehead. Arnav's this gesture was enough for Khushi to realize that, though he would be far away from her, he would be always there for her. Khushi opened her eyes slowly, as she felt Arnav withdrawing his hands slowly from her waist. Arnav could see that Khushi rosy cheeks were now slightly turning to red. Her face was now looking like a blooming flower in the morning under the glowing sun. He could see her eyes were sparkling with hope. Hope of him being there for her always. 
"Thank god. I was so worried that I will have to remember my fiancee's dry face, for the next week. But I'm glad that god took pity on me, and changed your mood. Now I will remember this angelic face", Arnav said smiling. Arnav wished her good bye and left a blushing Khushi standing all alone within the four walls.
Will Payal's marriage preparations, help Khushi to forget how much she misses Arnav? Will Arnav miss Khushi to the same extent as Khushi missed Arnav? Will Lavanya try to create insecurities in Khushi's mind, as Arnav was now out of the country?

No comments:

Post a Comment