Monday, November 26, 2012

Chapter 20

Chapter 20 - Pining

It had been one day since Arnav left to London, and Khushi was already missing him. She was in her room, drawing some sketches, hoping that it would help her to forget how much she missed Arnav. A sudden knock on the door made Khushi come back to her senses.
"Come in", Khushi said.
"Hey Khushi", Lavanya said, in a cheerful tone.
"Hi, what are you doing here? I mean, you never come into my room", Khushi said in a surprised tone.
"Akash told me that Arnav had gone to UK for a week. So Akash wanted me to check on you, and make sure that you are fine", Lavanya said in a concerned tone.
Khushi was surprised at Lavanya's behaviour. All these years Lavanya had been rude to her, and suddenly here she was all concerned about her.
"Okay Lav, what's going on? Why are you all nice to me suddenly?", Khushi asked, in the hope of clearing her doubts.
"I know I have been rude to you all these years, but I'm going to step in to a new life after my marriage. I don't want to ruin my happiness by having small rifts between us. You will be my sister-in-law. So I want to start it on a happy note", Lavanya said, trying to make Khushi understand her intentions.
"Really Lav, I'm glad that you changed your mind. Thanks", Khushi said and hugged Lavanya. 
Lavanya patted Khushi and broke the hug. 
"Well Arush will be visiting in the afternoon, do you want to join us Khushi?", Lavanya asked politely.
"Yeah sure. It would be great", Khushi agreed.
After Lavanya left, Khushi went deep into her thoughts. "How come Lavanya change so quickly? All these years, she hated me and all of a sudden she is being nice to me? This is beyond impossible. Something is surely cooking in her mind. I really have to be careful", Khushi thought to herself.
Khushi was suddenly brought back to reality by the ringing tone of her phone. As soon as she saw the caller ID, she got all excited. It was an international call and she knew the only person who would call from abroad today was Arnav. So she quickly answered the phone.
"Hey Arnav", Khushi said cheerfully.
"Sorry to disappoint you my Bhabhi-to-be, but it's Rahul", Rahul said in a teasing tone.
"Oh sorry Rahul, I thought it was Arnav", Khushi said in a worried tone.
"It's alright. I know that you miss him. That's why Arnav asked me to call you and tell you that he reached safely. He also told that he will call you tonight", Rahul said.
"Oh okay. Well how are you both?", Khushi asked.
"We both are fine. Well I gotta go, I have to go and meet Arnav downstairs. I will let him know that you miss him", Rahul again said in his teasing tone.
"Stop it Rahul. Ok then. Both of you, take care. Bye", Khushi said laughing.
"Bye Bhabhi-to-be", Rahul hung up the phone while chuckling.
As soon as the call was over, Khushi was feeling sad. "Why couldn't Arnav call me? Is he really that busy, that he couldn't find 5 minutes to talk to me? Does he miss me at all?", Khushi once again thought to herself. She was now feeling more gloomy. And to top it all, it was the rainy season. She went near the window and looked outside. The whole sky was gray in colour, as there were so many rainy clouds floating above. There was no sign of the sun and she was feeling as if it was one of the worst days of her life. She didn't know what to do, in order to keep herself occupied without thinking about Arnav. Then as if her Devi Maiyya had heard her pleas, she got a call from her music teacher.
It was around 2pm and she was now in the music class. Earlier her music teacher had asked if Khushi could spare sometime and teach the kids, as she wanted to go out for a while. Khushi had agreed gladly, as she was feeling really down. So she was now here, with her all time favourite kids. All of them were having a wonderful time singing, playing the piano and chatting. When it was time for the kids to leave, Khushi felt bad again. All the kids bid Khushi good bye, and now Khushi was in her car. She checked the time and it was 4.30pm. She remembered that Arush would be visiting today. So she took her phone to call Lavanya to say that she would be late. But she was shocked to see that her phone battery was dead. 
"Great!!! This was the only thing which was left to happen", Khushi said to herself angrily.
Khushi was driving towards her home and now it was raining outside. Although she wanted reach home quickly, she was unable to do so, as their was so much of traffic and to go with it, it was raining heavily.
In Gupta house, Lavanya was all busy playing with Arush. Arush came to visit Lavanya today, because all the members of the Raizada family had gone for a wedding. They didn't want to take Arush, as he had to go to school next day. Although Akash had hesitated to leave Arush with Lavanya, Anjali had made him understand, that Arush needed to bond with Lavanya, so that it would be easy for them to get along after Lavanya's marriage to Akash. So finally Akash had agreed with Anjali's idea. 
A sudden ring of the landline phone echoed in the whole house.
"Rama, check the phone", Lavanya shouted.
Rama came running and she answered the phone.
"Hello", Rama said innocently.
"Hello, is this Gupta house?", a male voice answered.
"Yes. Who is speaking?", Rama asked, as she had no clue who was on the other side.
"It's Arnav. Is Khushi at home?", Arnav asked, hoping to speak to Khushi.
"Arre Arnav Bhaiya, Didi tho ghar me nahi he", Rama answered.
As soon as Lavanya heard the words "Arnav Bhaiya", she came running towards the phone. She snatched the phone from Rama, and told her to leave.
"Hey Arnav", Lavanya answered with joy.
"Hey Lavanya, where is Khushi? I can't contact her as herr phone is not working", Arnav asked curiously.
"Well she went out. But don't know where. I will tell her that you called. How are you? I mean Akash told...", Lavanya was stopped in the middle by Arnav.
"Lavanya I have to go now. Tell Khushi to call me back to this number as soon as she comes home. Write this number down. Bye", saying this Arnav ended the call as he had no interest in talking with Lavanya.
Lavanya was angry with Arnav for ignoring her, but she was glad that Khushi was not at home right now. She threw away the paper she wrote down Arnav's number and with a wicked smile, she went to Arush and continued to play with him.
It was around 6pm when Khushi reached home. She was tired like hell. When she came in, she saw Lavanya playing with Arush. She was glad to see Lavanya getting along well with Arush. Lavanya saw that Khushi had arrived.
"Hey, you came? What happened to you? Where were you all this time?", Lavanya asked.
"I went to the music class. Before I went, I tried to tell you, but you were having your afternoon nap. So I left without telling you. But when I was about to call you, I saw that my battery was dead. Sorry", Khushi said apologetically.
"Wow Chachi, you teach music. Can you teach me to play the piano as well?", Arush asked with excitement.
"Of  course, why not? I will go and change and come. Until that, play with your mom-to-be", Khushi said smiling.
"Where is Chachu and Chachi Lavanya?"
"Mom and dad went to a client's party. They will get late", Lavanya said.
Khushi went to her room and immediately put her phone to be charged. Since her battery was dead, she couldn't check whether there were any messages. So she had a bath and came downstairs. All three of them had dinner together. Khushi was now teaching Arush how to play the piano. They were having an awesome time. Khushi suddenly remembered what Rahul had said. It was around 10pm now, and still Arnav had not called her. She was now worried and upset at the same time. Lavanya had already retired to her room. Khushi now felt that it was time for Arush to go to sleep as well. 
"Okay Buddy, it's time to go to sleep. Lets go", Khushi said cheerfully.
Arush was surprised at the way Khushi called her Buddy. Khushi saw the surprised look on Arush's face.
"What?", Khushi asked.
"Nahi. It's just that Arnav Chachu calls me Buddy. So when you called me Buddy, I remembered him", Arush said in a soft tone.
"You miss him, don't you? Me too. He didn't at least call me. I'm not going to spare him", Khushi said angrily.
Arush chuckled and said, "Chachi, you are just like Chachu. I think you both are made for each other. Getting angry and all that. Chachi can I sleep with you today. Actually, I normally sleep with dad. But he is not here nah. Lavanya mom is also sleeping. So can I?", Arush asked with pleading eyes. 
"Is it something to ask even? Come on. Lets go and sleep. Even I'm tired", saying that, Khushi and Arush went towards Khushi's room.
Khushi tucked Arush under the sheets and placed a kiss on his forehead lovingly.
"You know Chachi, whenever I sleep with Chachu, he does the same", Arush said smiling at Khushi. Khushi smiled and wished Arush good night. She switched off the table lamp and went to check her phone.
She was shocked to see 15 messages. And every single message was from Arnav. She read every single message and she was upset now. After reading the messages only she had realized that he was worried for her, not a bit but a lot. In the last message he seemed to be angry. So she dialed his number and hoped that he would answer. But her efforts were useless. She was now in tears. What could she do? Neither was it his fault, or hers. Suddenly her phone rang, and she answered hoping it was Arnav. 
"Hey Khushi, Come on skype, now", Rahul quickly said and cut the phone.
Khushi wiped her tears and switched on her laptop. As Rahul said, Khushi went online. She saw there was a new contact alert and it was from Arnav. She accepted the contact with a smile. And she made a video call. 
Khushi was surprised to see Rahul on the other end.
"Hey Bhabhi!!!!!!!!!! How are you?", Rahul said, while waving at Khushi.
Khushi waved at Rahul, but was feeling a little shy as she was in her pyjamas (http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4509720772608905&pid=15.1).
"Hey Rahul, I'm doing great. Where is Arnav? I mean, are you both in the same room?", Khushi asked.
"No, no. Are you kidding me? How can we both be in the same room? He is so boring dude. I would die out of boredom, if I spent one night with him. He asked me to talk to you until he came out of the shower", Rahul said in his jovial tone.
"Really Rahul. I thought I just said to send a request? May be you didn't understand what I said?", Khushi heard the voice she was longing to hear since a long time.
"Nahi Arnav, woh kya hai ki...", Rahul was lost in his own words.
"I know you Rahul. Get lost, you flirt. Go and sleep or do whatever you want, without disturbing me", Arnav said in a rough tone.
"Sorry dude. See you Bhabhi. Good night", Rahul left saying good bye to Khushi.
Arnav was now onscreen. Khushi had never seen Arnav in night clothes, with messy hair. He looked like a teenager today.
"Hey Khushi, where were you all this time? How many messages did you think I sent you? I was worried for you, dammit? Your phone wasn't working, so I called to your land line number. Lavanya said that she didn't even know where you were. Where were you?", Arnav continued in an angry tone.
"I'm sorry Arnav. I went to the music class today. Becasue my music teacher had to go out for sometime, she wanted me to teach the kids. Then later only I saw that my phone was dead. On my way home, I got stuck in traffic, and to top it all it was raining. After I came home I put my phone to be charged, but at that time the phone was totally dead. So I couldn't check the messages. After having dinner, I had to teach Arush to play the piano. I totally lost track of time. I really didn't know that you called my land-line number", Khushi said in her soft, apologetic tone.
Arnav knew Khushi was so upset and he didn't want to see tears in Khushi's eyes. She was looking cute in her pajamas and her open hair was tickling Khushi's cheeks. Her innocent face made Arnav forget his anger. So he thought of calming her down.

"Hey, hey, it's okay. I was just worried for you. But didn't Lavanya tell you that I called? I mean I gave her a number even", Arnav said in a suspicious tone.

"No she didn't. Anyway, I knew she was up to something", Khushi told Arnav the way Lavanya had been nice to her the whole day.
"Khushi, be careful. There is something fishy about her", Arnav said.
"Anyway, is Arush at your place? I mean why?", Arnav asked curiously.
"Oh, you didn't know. Your family has gone for a wedding and they left him here, so that he can attend school tomorrow", Khushi said.
"Did he trouble you? Is he sleeping now?", Arnav asked.
"No, no, he didn't trouble me at all. He is such a sweet kid. He is sleeping with me today", Khushi said.
They continued their conversation for a long time, and neither of them cared what the time was. It was around 3am, when finally Khushi dozed off to sleep, with a smile of satisfaction on her face.
Will Khushi realize that the feelings she has for Arnav is love? Will Arnav realize that he loves Khushi?

No comments:

Post a Comment